Friday, October 5, 2012

Strength and Happiness No Matter What

 http://willisleighanna.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/refugee9-291.jpg

When I first heard about the service opportunities that my class would be participating in, I honestly felt a little overwhelmed. My professor explained that we would be going to a refugee center a couple times throughout the semester to help the kids with homework and after school activities. I couldn't imagine what I would say to them or how I could help them in any way having come from a much easier home in my opinion. Then we were told about a chance to go play soccer and other games with the kids from Hser Ner Moo. I thought that maybe that I could do. I love kids and bringing joy to them through simple means such as jumping rope. When we first got there the kids seemed a little shy, but I decided to go up and introduce myself. In a matter of minutes they wanted me and the other girls to play with them. I immediately forgot that they were refugees. I didn't worry about what I would say to them; I just played. This is one thing I love about kids. No matter what is going on around them or what trials their family is facing, kids are always able to stop worrying, let it go, and just play. When we played duck, duck goose one of the girls wanted to sit in my lap. This was such a touching experience for me. I had known her for only an hour, she didn't know my name or anything about me, but she already trusted me and thought of me as a friend.

These kids had so little in comparison to the things that I had at their age, but they smile and laugh just the same. A lot of their clothes didn't quite fit them and were obviously hand me downs or from the good will. This experience taught me a lot about appreciating the things that I have. While I always thought the 2 day drive to visit my cousins was a bother, I couldn't imagine moving to another country and leaving all of them behind. I can't imagine not seeing the most important people to me for so many years. These are just a few differences between these girls and myself.

Later that week, I had the opportunity to go back and help the kids with homework during "Teen Hour". When a boy of about 16 years came up to me and asked me to help me with his math homework, I was worried that I wouldn't be any help to him. We sat down and started to look at his work and although I haven't taken math for 2 years it all started to come back to me. Still, it was somewhat difficult to teach him how to do the work without doing it for him. Whenever he was able to do it on his own I would get so excited. I became very conscience of the words I was using. The concept of absolute value bars was difficult to explain without confusing even myself, but these are smart kids. They may be a little behind because of having to learn a new language and start school in America, but they have come so far I'm sure from the day they arrived. I look up to these kids for the composure and strength that they maintain in the face of challenges. I am so grateful for this opportunity and the times to come that I will be able to visit and work with these kids. They are such an example to me of courage.

Here is a website you can go to in order to find out more about Hser Ner Moo. http://hsernermoo.blogspot.com/

If you can find a refugee center in your area, I promise that it would be a worthwhile experience to get involved there and to do your part to help these wonderful people. The Alliance for Multicultural Community Services is a good place to get involved if you are from Houston, Texas as am I.
http://arts.byu.edu/calendar/eventdescription_v2.php?eventid=31

1 comment:

  1. This is a great post. I loved being their too and I agree that it is amazing how you didn't see them as refugees but as children. Regardless of race, gender or language they are our brothers and sisters and children of our Heavenly Father. What they have been through is unimaginable. Whenever I complain about missing home or the lack of green I think of what one little girl said to me on Saturday. She said,"I miss the trees". So simple but I can completely relate because I miss trees too. The difference is I fly home on December 14th to see my family, friends, and the trees again but she will probably never go back to her home. We should never complain when there are others who have problems that are so much bigger than our own petty complaints.

    ReplyDelete