The picture that struck me this week was one of a crowd of refugees surrounding a man lying on the ground dying from cholera. They were stationed at the Kibumba refugee camp where disease and starvation were taking a toll on the refugees that didn't die from the genocide. The crowd of people just stands around the dying man, who several of them may know, traumatized by the horror scenes surrounding them. I think that several questions were on their mind: "Why does God allow this to happen?" "How much longer will I make it?" or "Will my family ever live peacefully together again?"
I can't imagine watching people die around me with no way of helping them. I have had several close friends experience the death of their parents and understand somewhat how hard that burden is to bear. In our society, these deaths are usually caused by traumatic accidents or illness. Except in the case of accidents, the family often has time to prepare for the death and there is at least some fighting involved. They are able to see several doctors and have some opportunity to try to save their loved one. In the case of these refugees; however, there was nothing they could do to stop the genocide or to save the victim of disease or to stop their family from starving. All they could do is pray.
As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, a christian, I firmly believe that there is a purpose for everything. I believe that in God's plan it is necessary that we have agency. I believe that if God were to take away the agency of these killers, He would cease to be God. I do believe; however, that God is there for each of us if we pray to Him and wait for His answer. I see His hand in my life every day. Miracles happen today just as much as they did in Bible times. I believe
that we can live with our family again if we obey God's commandments. He loves all of His children and wants us to be happy. Like any parent, He is sad when we are sad and when we sin.God is just. God is mercy. God is love.
As I read books like Left to Tell and Salgado's Migrations, I am repeatedly reminded of how blessed I am and how little most of the world has. But beyond this, it is hard for me to understand how so many people have lived and died through such horrible conditions. I really enjoyed your explorations of why this happens and how we can find meaning in it. It is important to try to keep an eternal perspective in mind.
ReplyDelete