Friday, October 12, 2012

Wasteland

                                                     http://www.wastelandmovie.com/gallery.html


My writing class recently watched "Wasteland", a movie that tells the experience of the artist, Vik Muniz, who spends nearly three years in Rio de Janiero, Brazil at the world's biggest garbage dump, Jardim Gramacho. Vik's ambition was to help the people living the life of a garbage picker in a desolate place. His plan was to make pictures of the people out of their garbage and then sell them to raise money for the dump. What he found changed his opinion of these people entirely.

These people were not only happy, but they were proud to be a "catadores". They remind everyone that they do not pick up trash; they pick up recyclable materials so that they can be used again and to limit the build up of trash in the landfill. It amazed me how strong these people were considering their lifestyle. The movie was another reminder to me of how much I have been given. Mr. Muniz went into this situation thinking that he would be the one to help these unfortunate people. What he discovered is that they are doing okay without his help and that they had a lot more to teach him than he could teach them.

This video taught me that it is not our situations in life that determine what kind of person we will be. Rather, we choose who we will be regardless of our lifestyle. It reminds me of the hymn, "Because I have been given much". I believe that we can all help the world one person at a time no matter where we come from, what we look like, or how much money we have in our pocket. I am grateful for the life I have been given, but I don't think that has to define the kind of person we are. As I've gone to Hser Ner Moo to volunteer or play with the kids, I've realized that it's not all about the service or about feeling good about oneself by helping others. It is more important that we expand our boundaries and understand people that are different. It is through this process that we realize who we all are, children of our Heavenly Father.

visit the address below to find out more about this powerful movie:
http://www.wastelandmovie.com/synopsis.html

No comments:

Post a Comment