Friday, November 16, 2012

For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink




When I first looked at this picture, I, like the people passing by on the street, glanced over the beggar on the street. It wasn't until I read the background information that I realized that this was exactly what was happening. The beggar on the street was a common occurrence for the people in Shanghai and didn't merit any acknowledgement. This picture particularly struck me because I feel like this is how I respond to the people on the side of the road holding up a sign that reads, "Anything helps. God Bless". I have never stopped to give them money; although, each time I pass them, I feel a twinge of regret. I wonder if these people choose to continue on their merry way for the same reasons I do: I rarely carry cash; It's too much of a hassle to stop; Part of me wonders if they are actually destitute or if they just want to take advantage of the compassionate people in the world.

A friend of mine recently presented an interesting viewpoint of this situation that has cause me to think more about this. She explained that it didn't really hurt her to give up a few dollars and if the person really was in desperate need, then she would be able to help with little sacrifice to her own well-being. On the other hand, if the stranger was cheating her out of her money, then again, she would lose very little while the other would lose a lot.

What I've learned from this is that we cannot judge others actions to be righteous or unrighteous without erring in some way ourselves. We can; however, choose to act in such a way that our thoughts and desires may be judged righteous by our Heavenly Father. I would rather risk being taken advantage of than risk being held accountable for a soul that I could have helped. After all, in this season of thanksgiving, we are reminded that all that we have comes from our Father and that our debt could not possibly be repaid. Each act of selfless service; however, shows gratitude to our Heavenly Father. When we serve His people we are, in a sense, serving Him. In Matthew 25:40 it reads, "In as much as you have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

1 comment:

  1. I wrote my personal essay on a topic very similar to this; outward appearances, while meaning everything to the people of the world, mean absolutely nothing to our Heavenly Father. He focuses on our inward struggles and goals, things that are not visible for us at first glance. The struggles this man on the street must be facing are probably much more vast than anyone passing by or looking at the photograph can realize.

    As far as photography analysis goes, I think the look on this beggar's face is fascinating. He's obviously been rejected before, but I wonder if anything is different about this time? He looks so incredibly dejected, and possibly by these people personally. He looks after them as if to call them back. I wonder how many times that has happened to us without our even realizing?

    ReplyDelete